The daily happenings in the life of The Connells!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Christmas Flood

December 24, 2013.  A nice, quiet afternoon.  A little too quiet in fact.  So I go to see why the kids aren't fighting.  Both the bedroom and bathroom doors are closed with the lights on.  Because there is much more potential for disaster in the bathroom, I choose that door to bust open first.  And if I woke up on Christmas morning with my head sewed to the carpet I wouldn't have been more surprised.  Water is flowing over the top of the bathroom counter into the floor.  Hot water at that.  The sink is full.  The water is on full blast.  And it's just like a waterfall.  My sink runneth over.  I immediately shut off the water and start grabbing towels, and I realize this is pretty serious.  Big fluffy towels are just drowning in the floor.  All 12 towels in the closet, and the water is still just gushing out of the floor.  By that point, Dan has heard my tone of disaster and has arrived on the scene.  I told him to go downstairs and start looking for water.  In our closet ceiling, he saw one single drop still clinging to the ceiling.  He calls for a pitcher and busts a hole in the ceiling.  FLOOD.  Here is comes.  We go down ANOTHER level.  Water has traveled through the ceiling, along the plywood, and down the exterior of the pipes inside the walls into the basement.  So yeh, that's water on three levels.  And I'm STILL soaking it up upstairs.  I have no idea how long the water was running but I suspect a good 20-30 minutes.  Daniley said that she pulled the drain up and wanted the water to get warm, so she left it there and went to play...and forgot about it.  Our sinks don't have an overflow drain.  We ended up having to get a shop vac and vacuum the rest of the water up.  Momma done went bazerk!!!!!!!!!!!  But at the end, we came out lucky.  No damage, except the hole we punched in the ceiling.

No comments: