The daily happenings in the life of The Connells!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 23, 2014

A very rare, few times in our lives to we accomplish something big in a very short time.  Think about it.  Most every accomplishment we earn by working long and hard--turning 16, graduating, buying a house, retiring.

Well, Daniley won a bike at a circus a while back.  Probably 3 months ago.  It has sat in the garage waiting on warm, sunny weather.  Today was the day I have long dreaded....teaching her to ride a bicycle.  We gathered up our helmets and pads and headed to the park.  (Dan was out, so it was just us girls.)  I remember trying to learn bike riding and I remember being about 6, falling, crying, getting mad, and it taking a long time.  I even remember the baton with streamers that I must have gotten the same Christmas, and I remember Dad saying "Abra Cadabra, Abra Cazam, Let Danica ride her bicycle and not fall down!"  The memories must have been really bad for me to remember that much detail.  ;-)  So, I absolutely dreaded this event, because Daniley doesn't have a lot of patience.  Well ready or not, here we go........

We get to the park.  Lil' Darlin' is on her tricycle in a mostly-empty parking lot.  I'm keeping one eye on her, and one eye (and two hands) on Daniley.  I hold Daniley's side as she pedals, running beside her.  Sometimes as a parent, you just have to let go.  And today was my turn.  I let go....

....and off she rode.  Just like that.  She was so excited.  (So was I!!!!)  After she realized she was riding, she SCREAMED with laughter and excitement, "I'M SO HAPPY!!!  I'M A BIG GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!"  And her word choices just choked me all up.  She never looked back, just blonde hair blowing through the wind.  Just like that, she was gone.  She didn't need me at all.  She was a big girl.  Even though I was ecstatic for her, clapping and cheering on the sidelines, for a short moment there I just felt empty.  I had flashes of her accomplishing big, great things, all by herself.  Spreading her wings and flying....  She's been dreading that bike as much as I have, scared.  And all she wanted was to be a "big girl."  And just like that, she got it.  She rode, and rode, and rode. 

She did almost run into some parked cars a few times.  She hasn't mastered the breaks yet.  So when she starts to fall she just kinda hops off and ditches the bike.  It is a little tall for her so it doesn't leave her many options.  We detoured and played on the slide for a little while.  Suddenly Daniley asked me what "ace" means.  Not knowing where new term came from, I said, "Well, it can be a person's name.  Or it can be a card.  Or you can have an ace in the hole.  Well, that's still sort of like a card."  She said, "Well what does it mean if you ace something?"  I said, "Oh, that means you do it really well."  She replied, "Oh, well I aced this bike riding.  I am awesome at every sport."  Yes, that's the real true Daniley right there.  Not always acing, but ALWAYS confident. 

1 comment:

CrochetLady said...

Be sure to tell Daniley that Di-Di is proud of her for acing her bicycle lesson!! :-)