The daily happenings in the life of The Connells!
Monday, December 13, 2010
So, Daniley's stingy, a little more stingy than all the other 2 year olds. I don't like it, but I realize it. I know what some of you have been thinking....if she were in daycare, she wouldn't act that way. Well that may be so. Do I think it would be great if she has social skills when she enters kindergarten? Absolutely. Do I think she needs to be socially DEVELOPED by the time she enters kindergarten? Absolutely not. She has 13 years of school to learn to deal with people. People often ask me if I am going to put Daniley in daycare, like she isn't going to "turn out right" if I don't. I believe that is a complete misconception. Are stay-at-home mom's under pressure to put their kids in daycare? I don't feel like they are. Most people see this as the ideal solution to raising children and would do it if they could. My mom and grandma are the next best thing for Daniley, so really what is the difference? Do I think that strangers can take care of Daniley better than my mom and grandma? Heck no! Do I love not having to pick Daniley up if she throws up or has a fever, Heck yeh! Yes, she is missing a certain set of skills, but she is also learning a certain set of skills. She can ride a horse, feed chickens, help set a fence post, pick vegetables (especially collards) from the garden, she knows when the 4-wheeler breaks you put a screwdriver in it or take it to Perry Willis (yes, she calls him by name). She knew her colors and numbers before she could talk, and now she can even spell her name. She can take a book we have read and flip the pages and tell you what it says very accurately. She has the verbal skills of some kids twice her age. Some of this is because she is smart, (I wonder if some of it is due to breastmilk, just because they say it makes babies "smarter"), and a great deal of it is due to the attention she gets at her grandmas' houses! I love my daycare arragements. If they don't work out, I'll have NO PROBLEM putting Daniley (back) in daycare. But until then, I'll be counting my blessings and thanking God for people who love Daniley and look forward each day to caring for her! (And just to clear up another common misconception, I DO pay for my daycare, not because I have to but because I choose to.) And about Daniley being stingy, I'd rather Daniley fight for what she wants than stand there and cry when someone takes it away. As long as no licks are passed, children should have a shot to work out their own problems, even if they are only 2 years old. That methodology is what makes Daniley as independent as she is, even if it gets her in trouble sometimes. I thought I was going to have to send some adults to time out at the Christmas party for trying to solve all the problems themselves! ;-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
Girl, I think it is GREAT your mom and grandmother gets to keep Daniley! I wish my mom could still keep Leia (if she could had I might had continued working fulltime). Daniley is smart as a whip and I think acts the way most 2 year old - sharing is hard for a toddler to learn. Your doing a fabulous job helping her develop but most importantly you love her and being Daniley's mommy.
I agree with Lisa! I think that some kids are just born with a little extra spunk. It is so entertaining for me to watch Daniley because she reminds me so much of myself when I was little. What kid on this planet does not struggle with sharing at the age of two?? By the way, I love the daycare setup you have because it allows me to spend a couple of hours with her every Monday night. :-)
Yes, the arrangements allow all the family to see her which is something I forgot to mention in my post. If she weren't at Mawmaws I don't know when Dad and Debbie would see her, and Mawmaw too. And she sure loves eating pancakes with Unc!!!!!!!! Plus Mawmaw feeds good. LOL.
Love it!! Hey, my grandmother and aunt kept my brothers and me all the way up until we started kindergarten. Daycare, what was that??? All my classmates knew one another once they started school (yes I remember things from kindergarten), but I made friends just fine. I only got in trouble once when I started. That was for telling a girl that she was going to hell for wearing pants. Hahaha!! And maybe that explains why I DO have a little extra spunk than most people. I never liked to share my things-even with my brothers. I still don't, but I will. LOL!! And like I said, I turned out FINE. Seriously, these new age mothers need to take a look at the past. We've been surviving for YEARS without the luxuries that we have today. Just because somethings INCONVENIENT for one person, doesn't mean that its inconvenient for you. I think you're an awesome mom!! And I love what "maw maw" and "lele" have done with Daniley. I wish I could send my kids to them.
-Cwissy
Post a Comment